Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish and is now hosted by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl. Check out upcoming Top Ten themes on Jana’s blog and go here to see what others have on their Top Ten Tuesday lists!
This week’s theme is things that keep me from reading. These are the other things that occupy my day – some fun, some maybe not so much!
- Work. Top of the list is my day job. How many times have I said that work just interferes with my reading time? LOL Of course, the family is fond of food and of having a roof over our heads, so hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to work I go. (And since I’ve changed jobs, I like my work a lot better these days!)
- Proofreading and editing. Okay, it’s reading, too, but it isn’t just reading for fun. This is my side hustle, and once again, I do enjoy it. That’s like candy to me, not work!
- Feeding the family. Cooking, baking, menu planning, all that good stuff. I enjoy cooking. It’s fun to feed my people. But it’s tough to read a book when you’re preparing a meal. (Don’t start with audiobooks. I’ve tried. I can’t. I don’t like having headphones cutting me off from what’s going on around me.)
- Exercise. I don’t do it often enough, and I’m working on doing it more often.
- Learning to play the Celtic harp. This is a new addition to the list. I’ve had a 12-string Celtic harp for YEARS. My husband has threatened more than once to sell it. This is the year I learn to play. First I’ve got to get it tuned, though.
- Church. I love our church community, and we’ve always got something going! Whether it’s Sunday service, Wednesday Bible study, a community outreach event, a ladies’ fellowship, or just time spent with friends, this is always a good reason to miss out on reading time.
- Cleaning. Sometimes the mess just has to get tidied up, y’all. I’m working from home now, so I see the mess much more often. This is the summer of decluttering.
- Hanging out with my family. Sometimes we watch random YouTube videos. Sometimes we go see a movie. Sometimes we run errands. Whatever we do and wherever we go, we bring the fun! They’re my favorite people.
- Blogging. Yep, this right here! When I’m writing, I’m not reading.
- Sleep. As much as I’d love to stay up and read “just one more chapter,” every now and then I’ve got to get a little shut-eye.
What about you? What things keep you from your appointed reading time? Share in a comment!