I’m Lisa. Wife, mother, voracious reader. I read anything that sits still (but I don’t say nice things about books I don’t like). I’m also one of those people that can find a mistake in a written work at fifty paces. If you’re looking for someone to help polish your writing to perfection, you’re in the right place. I offer proofreading and copyediting services at reasonable rates. From novels to blog posts, I can help your writing put its best foot forward.
I currently work as a freelance copyeditor and proofreader for Baylor University Press, Gateway Publishing, and Scribe Media. I have edited a variety of nonfiction books, from theology to law, from self-help to business. I have also worked with several authors on fantasy and historical fiction novels. References are available upon request.
Proofreading – This is the finishing touch before a manuscript goes to the publisher. It includes (but is not limited to) corrections of:
- Word usage and issues (they’re/their/there, affect or effect, that or which)
- Spacing issues
I recommend proofreading if you’ve already had your manuscript edited. Proofreading will clean up the little things that may have slipped through the cracks.
Copyediting – This is a more extensive process than proofreading, designed to prepare a manuscript for publication. It includes (but is not limited to):
- Checking for inconsistency within the story (character names, place descriptions, physical characteristics)
- Rewording awkward sentences while maintaining the author’s style and voice
- Correcting numbers (spelling out or using numerals)
- Checking for continuity errors
- Replacing passive verbs with active verbs where possible
- Applying the proper style guide (for books, usually the Chicago Manual of Style)
My rates are as follows:
- Proofreading: 0.8 cents per word
- Copyediting: 1.2 cents per word
- Copyediting and proofreading: 1.6 cents per word
I offer a free sample edit to give you a feel for the type of services I offer, and to determine what level of editing a project may actually need. Turnaround for the sample edit is 24-48 hours. Depending on what the sample edit reveals, I may be able to offer a project-based price lower than my standard per-word pricing.
After I receive your manuscript, I will review it and make suggested corrections. I’ll return the manuscript to you to make revisions. Once you’ve made revisions, I’ll give it a final review.
I require a deposit of half of the total cost before the start date. I accept Paypal or Venmo. The balance is due after I’ve completed my final review and returned your document to you. If you have questions, or would like to work out an alternate arrangement, please let me know. I will do my best to accommodate your request.